caren reads.

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2)

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2) - There are some books that make reviewing very, very difficult. Obviously, INSURGENT is one of them. I really want to say all the things! And I probably will. So, this is your warning that there will be spoilers ahead.If you read my review of DIVERGENT, you know how much I loved it. The world, the idea, the characters. Everything. Tris is a badass, and Four, well… I don’t suppose I need to explain why I love him.INSURGENT picks up right where DIVERGENT ends, with Four and Tris on the train to Amity Headquarters. They’ve just made it through the Erudite’s attack and stopped the simulation that was controlling the Dauntless population. Except, of course, for the Divergent.We stopped the simulation—the weight of the hard drive in my back pocket reminds me—but we didn’t pause to see the aftermath. What happened to our friends, our peers, our leaders, our factions? There is no way to know.Their world has just been effectively ripped apart, and what they don’t know yet, is that it’s only the beginning.“Nothing else is all right.” His whisper tickles my cheek. “But we are.”I’m not sure what I was prepared for going into this book, but I think all of my expectations were met and then some. I do know that I expected answers. And we got some of those. But we also got way more questions. Every answer that came through, it felt like a new question bloomed in its place. I was constantly on my toes, wondering, waiting, hoping and guessing. In the midst of all that, there was action, adventure, angst, swoons, death and surprises. Yes. Surprises. A couple of them were oh-shit-out-loud surprises. A couple of them were definite ah-hah moments. Husband dude laughed at my “I knew it!”’s quite a few times. What I’m saying is, this book never, ever lulled for me. I was engaged from start to finish.It’s hard to break this down, but I guess the easiest thing would be to tell you what I liked and what I didn’t. I loved Tris; she will always be a badass to me, but I’ll admit that I did not like her for parts of this book. I did not like her at all. She made me angry, and sad, and a little disappointed in her if I’m being honest.Four. Duh. Tobias is, and forever will be, one of my favorite bookboys. He made me hurt so good. I felt his emotions and turmoil and his… I felt all the things, okay? I just can’t even explain it. The way these two are when they’re together. Whether things are good or bad, I love it. Any interaction makes me happy (even if it’s making me want to throw up).I totally enjoyed learning about all of the other factions, not just Dauntless. This time around, I felt like I was able to develop a respect for how their individual groups work and function, and how without one, the others would suffer. (I would definitely have missed Amity and their serums, because that was epic) And that was something I never felt in DIVERGENT. I really only cared about Dauntless then, but that changed very quickly in INSURGENT.I enjoyed the return of characters from the first book, like Uriah and Lynn. And Caleb… briefly (I still have hope!!). There were some characters I wouldn’t have minded falling off the train *cough* Peter… Eric… Marcus. I loved the introduction of some new characters, and I cannot wait for the next book to find out just what’s in store for everyone. Just like last time, I’m on the edge of my seat.Full review: http://www.fictionators.com/review/insurgent-by-veronica-roth/

The Paradox of Vertical Flight
Emil Ostrovski
Dirty Trick
Christine Bell
Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
Gayle Forman