caren reads.

Divergent (Divergent Series #1)

Divergent (Divergent Series #1) - Also posted on Fictionators: http://www.fictionators.com/review/divergent-by-veronica-roth/I was so excited that I got a chance to read this a little bit early. I think everyone is out there right now searching for the next big thing. Especially when it comes to dystopian novels/trilogies. In Divergent, I think Veronica Roth did an excellent job of living up to the task of creating something new and exciting. I went into the book trying not to expect anything, and I think that helped. I wasn’t looking to be blown away, but I was. Once I started, I didn’t want to put it down (until I was fighting to keep my eyes open and had no other choice).Beatrice, who’s now sixteen, has lived her entire life as part of a faction that prides itself on selflessness. She’s been taught not to expect anything, not to ask for anything and to appreciate what little she has. So when it comes time for her to choose where she’ll go in the future, she’s certain she’ll remain in this life. That is until she learns something about herself and makes a drastic choice in the heat of the moment that changes everything she’s ever known.Her (Tris) transformation from beginning to end impressed me. She had to grow and discover who she was actually meant to be. In the midst of that, she’s also forced to face her fears and stand up for herself. For someone who’s lived her life for so long thinking of others first, she finally begins to think of herself. That includes falling in love…Four was definitely one of the great things about this book. In the beginning, he almost seems cold or unfeeling, like he might have something against Tris. The mystery behind him and what unravels as the book goes on is part of what draws you in. He’s definitely one of those characters you’re constantly curious about, wondering what might be going on in his head.The chain of events that Beatric’s choice sets off will keep you turning pages to find out what happens next. The action pretty much does not stop, and Tris is right at the heart of it – fighting boys, shooting guns and eventually saving lives. In the end, I found my heart pumping and my eyes wet and I had to stop myself from going back to the beginning to read it all over again.As far as I’m concerned, Roth did it right and I can’t wait to see what she has in store for these characters in the future.

The Paradox of Vertical Flight
Emil Ostrovski
Dirty Trick
Christine Bell
Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
Gayle Forman