caren reads.

Wild Awake

Wild Awake - Hilary T. Smith This book should be part of the advocacy campaign for child welfare laws. Seriously. What kind of parents, after losing one daughter to a brutal murder, leaves their only remaining daughter alone for SIX ENTIRE WEEKS so they can go on a romantic vacation for two?Ones who should not ever be allowed to parent, that’s who.I’ll admit, this book…it riveted me. Because it was crazy. Full-on batshit. And don’t get me wrong, I’m not being insensitive to those with mental health problems, trust me. I understand it better than you will ever know, but I’m not sure I get the point of writing about it in this way. If anything, I think it’s the author here who’s been insensitive. Don’t tackle a subject like this if you’re not going to do it right! Where’s the lesson here? Where is the resolution? What did this book teach me? Nothing, other than that this author has the ability to mimic a pretty well detailed psychotic episode on paper, and to demonstrate the ways in which to grind up a nug and pack a bowl.I’m baffled as to how this was bought and is now being marketed as a young adult novel, because I can tell you right now, if I had a young adult…I would never, ever allow him or her to read this. This book isn’t suitable for children with impressionable minds who might think Kiri’s summer adventures are something to mimic. Like riding a bicycle into downtown to meet some sketchy guy after dark. Like going into said strange guys sketchy apartment building even after being warned that it could be a scam. Like going home with someone she doesn’t know who’s offered to fix her bike. Like accepting drugs from strangers!I’m cringing at my own words right now, because I feel like I sound like one of those old crotchety ladies who shakes their fingers at anything fun, but really. I dare you to read this and then come back and tell me you don’t agree with what I’m saying. And if you don’t, I’d like to hear why, maybe you can enlighten me on something I missed.

The Paradox of Vertical Flight
Emil Ostrovski
Dirty Trick
Christine Bell
Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
Gayle Forman