caren reads.

The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater 3.5 STARSAs always, this review might contain spoilers. If you don't want to know, don't read it.I’ve been a huge fan of Stiefvater’s work since reading the Mercy Falls series, and I absolutely could not wait to see what she had for us next. Getting my hands on an advanced reader copy of The Scorpio Races was like Christmas in June!Going in, neither voice (as is the norm for Maggie’s novels, there are multiple POV’s) grabbed me at first. I was like okayyyyy, what’s the point here? Do I even like this? OMG I’M BORED. Yes, I get distracted easily. Whatever.It wasn’t until about halfway through that I finally reached that high and wanted to continue reading, reading, reading until it was finished. Last night I have to say that I sat down to finish and in the end, I came away with tears in my eyes. There’s just something about a man and his animal that just gets to me, and Sean’s connection to Corr was beautiful. If you’re an animal person like me, you’ll understand that some bonds like that are stronger than those you share with humans. They’re our greatest companions at times. For Sean, that was all the time…until Puck. Sadly though, the bond he shares with Corr was more captivating to me than his budding attraction to Puck. If you’ve read any of the Mercy Falls series, you know Maggie has the ability to bring the major swoons… I guess that’s what I was expecting here, too. But there were very few.As for Puck, she remarked often about how ornery she was supposed to be with the spitting and the biting, but I never really saw that in her character. I wanted more. I wanted her to punch Gabriel in the face like she threatened. I wanted her to stand tall and just be proud of herself. She made a huge decision, she changed that island forever by doing what she did and I needed her to own it!!Overall, it was an interesting story—certainly not like anything I’ve read before. But I just needed more. Don’t get me wrong, I liked Puck, and I liked Sean. And as I said before, the bond Sean shared with Corr (and all the horses he worked with) was truly amazing to read. But as far as the rest went, it fell a little below my expectations. I would recommend this if you have a love for animals (horses especially) or if you’re looking for something original to take a bite out of, you won’t be disappointed. But if you go in (like I did) hoping to find the next Sam Roth…Full review: http://www.fictionators.com/review/the-scorpio-races-by-maggie-stiefvater/

The Paradox of Vertical Flight
Emil Ostrovski
Dirty Trick
Christine Bell
Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
Gayle Forman