caren reads.

Just One Day

Just One Day - Gayle Forman I can't even bring myself to give this a rating yet...maybe some day, but not now.How do I even begin?I guess, with this: as usual, Gayle's writing is lovely (though a bit robotic in some places). I fell in love with her work during If I stay and pined away until Adam's story came out in Where She Went. Those two books still remain very high on my list of favorites, so I was looking forward to this one more than quite a few books being released this year...It all begins with Shakespeare, and I'm not usually a Shakespeare fan most of the time, but the way she wove this into the story was perfect. I loved the beginning--the adventure, the excitement. The not-being-thrown-in-my-face, slow building romance with Willem. Honestly, their day together, and their subsequent night, had me swooning all over my living room floor.But, I'm not going to lie...about 200 pages in, my book-boner (pardon the term) was effectively murdered. Killed. Kaput. I didn't even want to continue reading, but I forced myself to.Then, in the midst of said book-impotence, I fought my way through several chapters where Allyson, the MC, finds herself. Quite brilliantly, I might add. She goes on a new adventure; of self-discovery. It's sad, and uplifting at the same time. Everything she goes through to figure out that she can't be who her parents want her to be. To finally see that she needs to just be herself. From taking over her college decisions, to making new friends...and subsequently learning a new language, and making one of the biggest decisions of her life. It breathed new life into my desire to read, and the anticipation of will she or won't she kept me turning pages until the very end.In the back of my mind, though, all I could think was why aren't you trying to find him?!?! And I know what people will say: this is her story, and it's not all about the boy. But come on, when it comes down to it... IT'S ALWAYS GOING TO BE ABOUT THE BOY! Don't dangle a carrot in front of my face and then rip it away for dramatic effect, especially if you're going to end the book like that.Because the end...what can I say about it other than that it PISSED ME OFF. Yep. I don't get it. Why can't authors write a book in a book instead of leaving us hanging and making us buy another book? What happened to a beginning, a middle...and an END? I can't even enjoy any of what I just read because I'm so mad about all the things I DIDN'T GET TO READ YET.So yeah, the book...it's lovely. The end? If you're anything like me...it will piss you off. And if you think it's going to piss you off, I'd suggest waiting until the second book is released to give this one a chance.

The Paradox of Vertical Flight
Emil Ostrovski
Dirty Trick
Christine Bell
Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
Gayle Forman