caren reads.

Beautiful Bastard

Beautiful Bastard - Christina Lauren 3.5 StarsIt’s no secret that I’ve been wholly against pull-to-publish fanfiction since the trend began. I’ve always thought it was unethical to build something on someone else’s characters and profit from it by doing a simple find and replace on their names. And if you know me, you’ll know I haven’t exactly been closed-mouth about my distaste for it, either.Now, with that being said, what I don’t have a problem with is someone—or a pair of someone’s, as is the case here—using a plot idea that was theirs to build an original novel. Which, if you’re wondering, is one of the only reasons I gave this book a chance. These girls didn’t just find and replace their characters’ names. It’s clear to me that they worked hard to separate Bennett and Chloe from the world of Edward and Bella, and to make this all their own. Which I commend them for. They put in the work.Yesterday, when I broadcasted my reading status for Beautiful Bastard to Twitter, not gonna lie, I got no less than ten messages all asking the same question:How different is it?And, even though I’ve finished reading, I’m still not quite sure how to answer that.Is it different? Yes.Is it the same? Yes.As someone who read the original story, titled The Office (more than once), it’s difficult not to see the similarities, because while the authors reworked these characters and the story, the plot itself still remains mostly the same. Asshole boss and his employee engage in a sexual relationship neither of them thinks will go anywhere. However, what I pleasantly discovered while reading was that scenes have been expanded; characters’ backgrounds have been changed and developed. Dialogue has been updated (and dare I say, improved). And while the scenarios are similar, the second half of the book is quite a bit different from the original.In fact, I think it was better. Although... I do wish there'd been more. ;)ARC provided by NetGalley for review purposes.

The Paradox of Vertical Flight
Emil Ostrovski
Dirty Trick
Christine Bell
Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
Gayle Forman