caren reads.

Find Me

Find Me - Romily Bernard 2.5 StarsI was so excited for this book. Hacker chicks and mystery? YES, PLEASE. And I'll admit, the idea of the story itself was captivating. It kept me turning pages, ready to figure everything out and hoping it could live up to my expectations for how good it sounded. But I have to say now that I'm finished...it fell a little flat for me. Not because the writing was bad, because it wasn't. Bernard has a nice way with words, and like I said, the story itself was interesting. Sadly, it was the characters that didn't live up to their potential for me.Wicket Tate and her younger sister, Lily, haven't had an easy life. Their father, a drug dealing kingpin, made sure of that. Now he's on the run, and though he's out of their lives--for now--Wick's old habits are still hanging around. She's good with computers; too good. And she uses what her dad taught her in her new life to bring cheating husbands out in the open to their wives. Her way of making sure if she and her sister ever need to disappear, she's got the money to do it. Only, when she wakes up one morning to find her ex best friend, Tessa Waye's, diary on her front porch with a simple note saying Find Me and a fifty dollar bill, she's not sure who it is that's discovered her secret, but she can't stop herself from needing to find out.What follows is a series of twists and turns and a story that, like I said, wasn't bad. In theory. It was, however, predictable. The first half of the book felt like a lot of buildup to something that was kind of obvious from the start, and though I've never been one to complain about romance in any book, this romance felt forced for the sake of having a romance. If that makes any sense. Griff was sweet--and of course I enjoyed the kissing--but it was unnecessary. And Carson...while his presence made sense for the most part, it didn't in others. I'm not sure why he wasn't a good guy other than to make him a suspect in the mystery of it all, when I was pretty sure all along that dude wasn't guilty of anything but being an ass.Not only that, but I felt like there weren't any strong connections in the book, not even with Wick and her sister. And I'm not sure if that was her character, and it was intentional, or if it was a lack of character. But I'll be honest when I say it felt more like the second one. Like possibly the girl was built to be too unfeeling that even when she was trying to feel, it just didn't work. In a story like this I would have expected more emotion and more feeling from the main character, but throughout it all she was just kind of meh, or at least that's how she came off to me. Even with Griff. Even in the end.So yeah, like I said, killer story idea...but one that didn't achieve the potential I'd built up for it.** ARC provided via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

The Paradox of Vertical Flight
Emil Ostrovski
Dirty Trick
Christine Bell
Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
Gayle Forman