caren reads.

Life After Theft

Life After Theft - Aprilynne Pike This book was…not at all what I expected. And don’t get me wrong, that’s not a bad thing. It’s just that I was surprised.You’ll be shocked to hear this, but I actually selected this one for the cover—hey, don’t start with me, I know. From the cover, I was totally expecting a female point of view. Wouldn’t you? I mean, she’s big and bold and all up on it everywhere. Why would I not be shocked to learn the girl I thought I was reading about called herself Jeff? I had to re-read the first page like four times because my brain kept insisting that this could not possibly be a book with a male protagonist.But it was.And we all know I love male protagonists, especially when they’re genuine and don’t say things all flowery and pretty like a lot of boys are prone to do when written by women. Jeff was a pretty good representation of a teen boy. He was funny, smart and sweet. But he wasn’t perfect, which made him feel genuine. Plus, he had a love for his car that I could totally relate to."Come on, why Halle?"Okay, not completely. "Not telling you.""Spill!"I didn't have the stamina for another battle of wills with Kimberlee. "I named her after Halle Berry. She played Storm in the X-Men movies.""You're such a nerd. Why her?"I could feel my face getting hot. "Well, you know . . . 'cause she's hot. And black. And my car is hot, and black."Kimblerlee smirked. "So you want to ride her all over town?"Jeff’s the new kid in school, and on his first day at Whitestone, he meets Kimberlee. Except he’s the only one who can see her, because Kimberlee actually died over a year ago. After several attempts to prove to himself that he’s not crazy, Jeff finally accepts the truth of that fact and agrees to help Kimberlee try to pass on by assisting her in returning the overabundant number of things she’d stolen while still alive.Kimberlee wasn’t just a thief, though. She was your typical mean girl without a heart, and it just so happens that her main target happened to be the girl Jeff’s got his eye on.Sera.In the end, I liked the way this all came together. Some of the big reveals were a little obvious, and others weren’t. All in all, I’ll say this: the book was cute. It had good writing, nice characters and an interesting storyline. I laughed at several spots and found myself even swooning a little bit. My only complaint was the lack of connection I felt between Jeff and Sera. I would have much rather he’d fallen in love with Kimberlee, even though she was dead. I don’t think that was supposed to happen, lol. ;)So if you want something light and cute with characters you probably won't hate, I'd say give this one a shot.

The Paradox of Vertical Flight
Emil Ostrovski
Dirty Trick
Christine Bell
Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
Gayle Forman