caren reads.

The Originals

The Originals - Cat Patrick 2.5 StarsI really enjoyed this book during the first little bit, but my annoyance began to grow as it continued toward the end. I really liked Lizzie's voice, and her budding relationship with Sean made me swoon like I love to do in young adult novels, but there was just something missing overall that didn't quite hit the mark for me.Lizzie is one of three sisters who are identical. But they're not triplets...they're clones. The three girls--Lizzie, Ella and Betsey--are being forced (by their mother) to live as one, and now at sixteen, they've decided they're not the same person and can't be forced to live like that anymore. They're also trying to figure out just what their mom is hiding.This novel was a pretty cool idea, but for me, the execution of the whole thing was a little anti-climactic. There was all this suspense and intrigue built up throughout, and the "reveal" was a huge letdown. Imagine the air being let out of a balloon and it makes that pffffffft noise. It was kind of like that. It was disappointing. Also, I have to mention the editing. Present tense is awesome. I love reading it (as long as it's not robotic) and I love writing it. But where were the editors to get rid of the 1,000+ dialogue tags in this book? You do not need and "I say" or a "she says" or a "he says" after every line of speech! Near the end it got so tiresome to read that it almost just made me giggle every time. Good thing we weren't playing a drinking game, because I would have been gone off my head for sure.

The Paradox of Vertical Flight
Emil Ostrovski
Dirty Trick
Christine Bell
Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
Gayle Forman