caren reads.

Louder Than Love

Louder Than Love - Jessica Topper As someone who spends a lot of time reading YA/NA, this book was refreshingly mature. Louder Than Love was without all the high school drama, and instead filled with strong characters and a story that had me by the heart. I was captivated from beginning to end.Katrina Lewis lost her husband three years ago, and she still hasn't moved on. Even with the encouragement of her friends, it's not until her four and a half year old daughter Abbey's obsession with a cartoon cat brings a new man into their lives that she finally feels ready to take the next step.Adrian Graves has been out of the public eye for years, and when he receives an e-mail from Katrina requesting that he perform at a public library--for children--he's sure it's a joke.But it's not.Katrina's daughter loves Maxwell Macgillikitty, and by extension, Katrina's grown her own infatuation with the man behind the voice she hears so often. Which means that even before these two meet, there's something there. It takes some convincing, but somehow she finally gets him to agree.And when they're finally face to face--him smelling of Jack Daniels, and her reeking of disapproval, let's just say that sparks fly.What follows is, like I said before, a very adult relationship between two people who have ghosts in their past they're not quite ready to reveal yet. And when they're together...god, it's just lovely. I enjoyed pretty much every character (except Grant, he deserved that punch to the face!). But Katrina, she was strong without being pigheaded, and Adrian was sweet (I died every time he called her 'luv'), or any time he interacted with Abbey. And Abbey...she was precociously adorable. Every piece of these peoples' lives worked so well and just made this book so enjoyable. And though it was a bit rocky at some points, it wasn't overdone or annoying--it felt real.Highly recommended to anyone looking for a peek into an epic true love story.

The Paradox of Vertical Flight
Emil Ostrovski
Dirty Trick
Christine Bell
Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
Gayle Forman