caren reads.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black 2.5 StarsIt took me until about halfway to actually get into this book. This will probably come as a surprise, but I'm not all that into vampire stories sometimes. I have too many questions in my head and I'm constantly trying to figure out too many things to actually enjoy them. That was definitely my number one problem with starting this book. I couldn't sit back and enjoy it because my mind just wasn't going with the flow I'm sure the writer intended.First it was because of the title... The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. After reading a few chapters and figuring out just what a Coldtown was, I kept waiting for the main character, Tana, to actually become a vampire. Because how can you be the 'coldest girl in coldtown' if you're not Cold? And since I was waiting for it, it made most of the story drag because I was searching for a conflict that maybe, sorta, kinda wasn't there.And second...I don't know that I ever did feel a main conflict here. I feel like this entire book was filler for a second book, and after finally getting into the story during the second half...I'm definitely disappointed. There was no real resolution for the main character. Her story was left open-ended and unfinished. Which if you've read my reviews before, is my number on pet-peeve. Don't leave me hanging! Give me the beginning, middle and end of the story!So if you're like me, and you're not a fan of endings that leave you unfulfilled, I'd avoid this series at least until the second book comes out. But, if you don't mind that, Holly Black's story telling is compelling, Tana, the main character was kind of a badass and Gavriel...Guh. I really, really liked Gavriel. Especially toward the end.

The Paradox of Vertical Flight
Emil Ostrovski
Dirty Trick
Christine Bell
Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
Gayle Forman